Before starting, you’ll need to make a trip down to your local lighting store and purchase a complete light fitting that includes the fitting, ceiling cup, cable and bulb holder.
1. Soak the wine bottles in soapy hot water. Soaking the bottles with help the wine labels come off much easier and faster.
2. Cut the braided wire to the appropriate lengths of desired height. Measure out how long you want your chandelier to hang at and then attach your jump rings onto the wire using a crimp.
3. Thread the other end of the light cable wire through the ceiling cup and attach a jump ring to the ceiling bracket using your crimp. This will help hold the weight of the bulbs and the wine bottles. When completing this step, it’s best to use energy saver bulbs because you don’t want the bulb to crack while you’re trying to hang the wine bottles.
4. Install the light fitting with all the loose braided wire lengths attached. This can be done by a novice, but it should at least be checked by an electrician to make sure it is electrically sound and correct.
5. Cut the wine cork vertically with cutting knife. As a nice finishing touch, place the wire inside the cut side of the cork and then push the cork back into the bottle to allow for a very secure fit during hanging.
Industrial Library Lamp
This DIY project requires a lamp kit purchase. If you don’t like the existing finish, you can always spray paint it with a matte black to give it a more interesting and rustic look. If you’re a true book lover and don’t want to upcycle or destroy some perfectly good books consider the option of cutting various sizes, shapes & colors of wood and paint them to look like classic books, then build your lamp accordingly. Ready-made classic and vintage elements give this an industrial urban chic feel and a cool vibe to any hip house or apartment.